My first wedding cakes for my first client!
I know, I was absent from the blog in the past days, but I was utterly justified: I was working on an order from my very first client for her wedding!
Two main pieces of information to analyze here:
1) My first client: so apparently at work even people from other teams now know I “make cakes” and the word is spreading… 😛
2) Wedding: so not only was this my first chance to make a cake for somebody I didn’t really know, but it was also a challenging opportunity to make big wedding cakes for 60 people! I mean, the cakes for somebody’s most important day! :-O
Of course I was totally stressed and the risk of failure was high: the storage, decoration, and transportation were very critical. And the planning of activities was not be neglected either.
Moreover the field was totally new for me! Wedding cakes are totally different from normal cakes:
- First of all they are covered and decorated with sugar paste, which I had never used before
- Sugar paste cannot be refrigerated, so basically I could not use egg-based creams for the filling (which accounted for 99% of my recipes)
- Finally wedding cakes are tall and heavy, so they must be resistant and hold their shape at room temperature for hours
The order was for 2 chocolate and vanilla cakes for 60 people + 80 macarons (chocolate, coconut and salted caramel). Although I had started preparing some elements last Wednesday, I was eventually running late on Saturday afternoon! I had to simplify the decoration that I had in mind, in order to finish the cakes for the wedding dinner. I was a bit upset, but seeing the result of my work on the display was very rewarding in the end! 🙂
Luckily enough I had my good friend Gillian who helped me for the transportation, we had a great teamwork! She is also my official tester/pilot customer by the way! 😛 Forever thankful! 🙂
And finally, thanks to Claudine and Marie who crazily trusted me and gave me this great opportunity! 🙂